Morningstar GFPD-600V Ground Fault Protection Device For 600 Volt PV System Breakers
Morningstar 600V Ground Fault Protection Device
Morningstar’s Ground Fault Protection Device (GFPD) is an innovation for ground fault detection and interruption for the photovoltaic (PV) industry. It has greater sensitivity and better isolation while maintaining the bond to earth ground. Ground fault protection is used in electrical systems to prevent current from following any unintended paths during a ground fault. Morningstar’s GFPD has been designed to meet the ground fault protection requirements of the US National Electric Code (NEC) for grounded PV systems.
How it Works: A GFPD needs to detect any stray current and interrupt (break) the circuit until safe operation can be restored. A current imbalance between the primary positive and negative PV conductors entering the controller or inverter may indicate a ground fault condition. Morningstar’s GFPD will detect this condition and break the circuit on both the positive and negative legs. Disconnecting both poles ensures interruption of the ground fault current.
Other ground fault detection/interruption products break the bond to the grounded conductor. When this occurs, not only is the earth bond compromised, but the battery and DC loads can also be left ungrounded and floating. For a negatively grounded system this means that the negative side of the battery and loads can float to negative Voc in relation to ground. Morningstar’s GFPD better isolates the array from the battery and loads, while maintaining the bond to ground.
- Max solar voltage (Voc): 600 Volts DC
- Max solar current: 50 Amps
- Supply voltage range: 10 - 72 VDC
- Self-consumption: <0.5W
- Ground fault threshold current: 300 mA +/- 10%
- Number of poles: 2
- Nominal system voltage: 12, 24, 36, and 48 Volts DC
- Dimensions: 14.1" x 8.7" x 4.2"
- Weight: 8.9 pounds
- Max wire size: #6 AWG
- CE, RoHS and REACH Compliant
- UL 1741 and CSA C22.2 No. 107.1-01 Listed
- GFPD-150V is UL-489 Listed
- GFPD-600V is UL-1077 Listed
- Meets EMC Directives (Immunity, Emissions and Safety)
- FCC Class B Part 15 Compliant U.S.
- National Electrical Code (NEC) 690.5 Compliant for use as a GFPD device
- Manufactured in a Certified ISO 9001 Facility